Invisalign is a method of correcting crooked and misaligned teeth. It is a series of clear, thin plastic aligners that discretely fit over top of your teeth and gradually and gently straighten them. After an initial consultation, your dentist plans out your course of treatment, and your Invisalign aligners are then custom made for you. With Invisalign, there is minimal discomfort and interference of daily life. Not only do straight teeth look more beautiful, but having straight teeth can also help to improve your oral health by allowing your gums to fit more securely around your teeth and facilitating easier cleaning.
When to consider Invisalign:
- You have spaces or gaps between your teeth, your teeth are crowded or overlapping, or your teeth are not straight.
- Your bite is not well balanced.
- The misalignment of your teeth is causing oral hygiene challenges.
- You want a visually pleasing smile that you can display with pride and confidence.
- Brushing and flossing your teeth is much easier with Invisalign than traditional metal bracket and wire braces, which can lead to plaque build-up and tooth decay. You simply remove the aligner, clean your teeth, and place the aligner back in the mouth.
- The Invisalign aligners are hardly noticed when you wear them.
- Your smile can be transformed in a matter of months.
- There is minimal to no discomfort.
- With straighter teeth, better results are achieved with other dental treatments, such as whitening and veneers.
- In some very complex cases, an ideal outcome cannot be achieved with just Invisalign. Sometimes surgery and/or other orthodontic appliances, wires and brackets are needed.
- A patient who is not compliant, and often forgets to wear their aligners, will not achieve the most ideal treatment outcome and their best smile.
Many people who consider Invisalign also consider veneers, composite resin bonding, and teeth whitening.